Strong Trinity pounds Royal to regain Bradby Shield
By Nichole Alexander  Published : 10:22 am  June 12, 2011 | No comments so far | Print This Post  | 2,448 views

Trinity bounced back from two straight defeats to record a clinical 40-5 win against traditional rivals Royal in the second leg of their traditional encounter to regain the Bradby Shield in Colombo. Trinity went on a dominative rampage to score five tries, three conversions and two penalties as they conceded a solitary and consolation try to Royal. Trinity Lions were too hot to handle for Royal during the first session of play and they dominated the entire half to enjoy a convincing 21-0 lead.

Outstanding Trinity completed their mission of taking back the coveted shield back to Kandy after a long wait of three years in grand style. Burly forward Murad Ramzeen led Trinity from the front as the Lions attacked Royal from very first minute of the encounter.  Royal wasted time to settle down but until the final whistle they could not conquer their quest. To make matters worse, Royals reliable place kicker, Arshad Jamaldeen missed three easy penalties. He had to be taken off the field after sustaining an injury before the short whistle.

 Trinity’s win was propelled by the outstanding performance of fly-half Rehan Weerakoon who made sure his side walk out winners. He tore the Royal defense on number of occasions and contributed well with his kicks and with a consolidated performance with skipper Ramzeen, No.8 Sean Foster and winger Mohamed Sashan rattled the Royalists.

 After Royal missed an easy penalty off Jamaldeen, Trinity managed to open scoring with a penalty off Weerakoon in the 10th minute. Trinity carried on their onslaught and scored from through centre Dilshan Yatawara. Weerakoon converted to give Trinity a 10-0 lead.  Weerakoon came to action again as he easily put through a 30 meter penalty to help Trinity expand their lead by 13-0. Winger Mohamed Sheshan touched down minutes later followed by a Weerakoon drop goal that saw Trinity move on to lead 21-0 at half time.

Though Royal greatly attempted a resettle during the second half they still failed to enjoy the finishing moves that was needed for points. Third-row-forward Foster, centre Kaneel Senenviratne and winger Shesan penetrated the Royal defense to touch down and give more points to Trinity. In the dying moments Royal skipper and No.8

Shehan Pathirana gave his team a consolation try as Trinity sealed the second leg of the 67th Bradby Shield encounter to regain the rugby plum after two years. Trinity ended the 2011 series with an aggregate of 65-38. With the win Trinity leads the Bradby Shield tally by 36 wins while Royal has won on 30 occasions. In 1992 the series ended in a 3-all tie.

By Nichole Alexander



Feel free to leave a comment...