Trinity beat Royal in Bradby first leg (UPDATED)
  Published : 6:26 pm  June 1, 2013 | 4 comments | Print This Post  | 0 views

With a stunning second-half performance, Trinity College, Kandy took a 12-point advantage from the first leg of the 69th Bradby Shield encounter, winning 37 (5 tries, 3 penalties 1 drop goal) points to 25 (2 goals, 1 try 2 penalties) at Pallekele today.

At half-time Royal led 18-8.

Trinity took an early lead, in the fourth minute, when a Royal player was penalised for not releasing the ball, and fly-half Tharinda Ratwatte converted the 35-metre penalty.

Following a passage of play where both teams missed kickable penalty attempts, Royal scored the first try, in the 21st minute, when hooker Shuhaib Jabbar scored from a forward charge, which went uncoverted.

Trinity regained the lead when Scrum half NareshPerera kicked ahead and a Royal player tipped the ball into play, instead of letting it go out of bounds, straight into the path of Luckwin Gunasekera who ran scored by the left corner flag . The try went unconverted.

Royal then took firm control of the game as their three-quarters moved the ball, and fly half RimziJamaldeen scored by the left corner flag, with centreDevinda de Silva making a brilliant conversion.

The centre then put over a penalty two minutes later, increasing the lead to seven points before Jamaldeen added another penalty to give the Royalists a half-time advantage with the score on 18-8.

Trinity however dominated the turn around, and made the first score of the half when fullback Sanshana Sheik capped off a three-quarters moved initiated by Ratwatte, scoring off an over lapped in the left corner. This try also went unconverted.

Still trailing by six points, Trinity fly half Ratwatte then nailed a drop goal in the 53rd minute of the game, before putting his team ahead, when he joined the three-quarters to score a try, but again failed with the conversion, giving the home team a three-point lead.

Eight minutes later Luckwin Gunasekera scored by the left corner flag to create some separation on the scoreboard, giving them a eight point lead, as the conversion was not put over.

Six minutes later, Royal clawed themselves back when prop Shahir Hannifa pushed over for a try – goalled by Jamaldeen – but that proved to be the last score for the Royalists, as two penalties and a last minute try later, Trinity had the game wrapped up 37-25.

Record holding South African referee Jonathan Kaplan officiated the game.



4 Responses to “Trinity beat Royal in Bradby first leg (UPDATED)”

  1. sanaboy
    on June 2nd, 2013 8:00 am

    Cry babies.. Royal team is below average this year when concerning about the attitude and performance

  2. Aj
    on June 2nd, 2013 8:32 pm

    if you have mentioned above caption against Royal ,taking Isipathana game , yes they need to cry, how Isipathana played rugby is pathetic , Royalist did their best at the bradby , best team won

    from a Trinitian

  3. Sandu
    on June 3rd, 2013 9:35 am

    I agree with Aj. Its better to play right & loose other than playing foul & winning.

  4. suren
    on June 3rd, 2013 10:39 am

    A wonderful game and Thanks to Jonathan Kaplan who proved to be Best Referee and hope we could produce more professional referee’s in the future to go

Feel free to leave a comment...