Havelocks down Navy to set up epic final
  Published : 12:41 am  February 24, 2017 | No comments so far | Print This Post  | 0 views

By Shannon Nicholas

Havelocks SC ran riot to beat a sloppy Navy SC outfit 39-13 in their Dialog Clifford Cup Knock-Out Rugby Tournament second semi-final match played at the Race Course Grounds in Reid Avenue on Thursday.

Havelocks v Navy

The league runners-up dominated proceedings throughout the evening and went on to score three goals, three tries and a penalty while the losers were only able to score a solitary goal and two penalties.

The Havies led 15-3 at half time.

However, Navy SC were able to draw first blood when Thilina Weerasinghe kicked through the posts to put up the first points of the game.

Havelocks SC’s Hirantha Perera who was in charge of the kicking duties in place of the injured Dulaj Perera, found his way through the Navy SC backline and his overhead pass was collected by scrum half Sudam Sooriyarachchi who dived forward to touch down. Hirantha added the extra points with ease and the scores were amended to 7-3.

Ten minutes later, Hirantha was able to increase the lead as his kick through a penalty sailed between the uprights. (Havelocks 10-3).

Vimukthi Rahula was sin-binned minutes later as the winger was caught for an improper tackle but the Sailors were not able to take advantage of playing an ‘extra’ man on the field.

Sudam put on a rampant run when he managed to collect a loose ball after Navy SC faltered at the line-out, and the scrum half was able to go all the way to score the second try for the Havies. Hirantha fumbled with the conversion but the Park Club were settled with a comfortable 15-3 lead.

The Sailors were able to put over a penalty through Weerasinghe as they pushed forward to make the scores 15-6.

The Havies were at their hunting again pressing up-field and pressurizing their opponents with their quick play. They were awarded a penalty but Hirantha’s kick fell short of the posts by inches.

Thanuja Malimbada of Navy SC fumbled in the clearance and Havies’ center Nishon Perera was quick to pounce on the ball and dived forward to plant the third try of the evening. The conversion was wasted however and the scores were amended to 20-6.

Hirantha’s pass was collected by Nishon ten minutes later, and the centre was successful in getting the better of three Navy SC players as he ran towards the goal.

He touched down at the corner while being pulled down to the ground by a Navy SC player and with Hirantha getting his conversion right this time the scores were altered to 27-6.

Havies’ winger Vimukthi Rahula collected the ball off a Rahul de Silva pass and crossed the try-line close to the posts. With the extra points added, the Havies were up 34-6 with less than ten minutes of play remaining.

Navy SC were able to grab a late consolation goal through Skipper Roshan Ranasinghe. Weerasinghe added the extra points with ease to alter the scores to 34-13.

It was not over for the Havies however as outside half Niroshan Fernando got his name on the score sheet when he took advantage of a Navy SC slip-up to score the sixth try for the Park Club.

Referee: Julien Castaignède


Feel free to leave a comment...